Thursday 29 January 2009

Social site idea

My idea is inspired by a Guest Lecturer we had last year. I started thinking about creating a collaborative site, where the user could see it evolve and take part in its evolution.

I would have an interactive map of Nottingham City Centre. There would be hot spots on the map which when rolled over, would reveal speech bubbles. These speech bubbles would contain anicdotes left by previous users. This could be anything from, "It was here where I proposed to my wife" to "this is where me and a friend saw a pigeon with a cup on its head". I want this to be accessible to everyone without the hassle of log in's however, if they want to take part then details will be required. I will only ask for name (i will leave this broad so the user can choose whether to leave first name or full name) age and home town aswell as the comment field. This information will then follow the anicdote.


Each hotspot could only display the last comment made and areas that may attract more interest e.g.The Broadway or Market Square, could have their own profile to prevent over crowding and to allow the user to view all the comments.

If i get ahead of myself i could look into allowing people to upload images, although i would then have to create some way of screening these for inappropriate content.

A progression of this site could be to show the journeys the individuals have travelled. This would use the info they entered for 'home town' It could then be possible to create a map with coloured lines coming from all over Britain to Nottingham.

0 comments: